NMC/GDC Registration

Information for overseas nurses

Anyone wanting to work in the UK as a nurse must register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).

Nurses trained outside the UK and EEA

They can apply to be on the NMC Register, providing they meet its standards. The NMC will compare the training in your country with that required in the UK. Registration with the NMC does not provide the right to work in the UK.

The requirements for registration are different for nurses who trained in the UK and EEA to those who trained outside the UK and EEA.

Process for nurses educated from outside the EEA

Since October 2014, the only route to registration for all nurses trained outside the UK and EEA with the NMC is through a 2-part application process.

  • Part one – a computer based multiple-choice examination which will be accessible in many countries around the world for applicants to access in their home countries.
  • Part two – a practical objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) which will always be held in the UK.

This process does not require applicants to complete a period of supervised practice.

For further information about the application process and the new test of competence please visit the NMC website

EEA nationals who have trained outside the EEA will not be eligible for automatic recognition of their qualification under the EU Directives as they have not trained within an EU member state. Further information is available from the NMC website.

All applications to join the NMC nurses part of the Register from individuals who trained outside the UK and EEA must include evidence of completion of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test. You must complete the academic version of the IELTS test and achieve:

  • at least 7.0 in the listening and reading section 1
  • at least 7.0 in the writing and speaking sections
  • an overall average score of 7 (out of a possible 9)

The NMC will not consider applicants who score lower than this standard.

Overseas-trained nurses holding EC Treaty Rights who have had their qualification recognised in another EU member state and have practised in the EU/EEA for three years, will continue to be processed through the EU route.

Nurses trained in the EEA

Nurses who trained in the EEA must also meet the standards of the NMC before they can be considered for registration. The NMC will compare the training in your country with that required in the UK.

Following the recognition of qualification, and before entry to the register, all applicants are required to supply evidence that they have the necessary knowledge of English.
Communication is defined as speaking, reading, listening and writing.

Read more information about EEA registration on the NMC website.

Nurses who trained in the EEA who are not EEA nationals may be required to undertake one or both parts of the application process above.

Source URL: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/I-am/outside-uk/information-overseas-nurses

1. http://www.nmc.org.uk/
2. https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/glossary#NMC
3. http://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/joining-the-register/trained-outside-the-eueea/
4. http://www.ielts.org/
5. http://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/joining-the-register/trained-in-the-eu-or-eea1/

Information for overseas dentists

The General Dental Council (GDC) is the organisation that regulates dental professionals in the UK.

All dentists and dental care professionals must be registered with the GDC and licensed to work in the UK.

Temporary registration

Temporary registration allows dentists who are not eligible for full registration to practise dentistry in the UK in supervised posts for training, teaching, or research purposes only for a limited period. Temporary registration will not allow dentists to work in general or private practice, or in community dental services.

An overseas qualified dentist can apply for temporary registration in specific approved posts if they hold a dental qualification from a university which is recognised by NARIC UK [3] for the purposes of temporary registration and the overseas registration examination (ORE).

Temporary registration is granted for a minimum of 84 days and a maximum of 365 days at a time and may be renewed by means of application, for up to a maximum of 1826 days (5 years).

Non-European Economic Area nationals

Dentists from outside the EEA whose qualifications are not recognised for full registration with the GDC need to take the overseas registration examination (ORE). For information on the qualifications recognised for full registration, dentists should contact the GDC.

The ORE tests the clinical skills and knowledge of dentists from outside the EEA whose qualifications are not recognised for full registration with the GDC. The examination is based on the UK dental curriculum and uses modern assessment methods to ensure a robust and consistent examination. Dentists who pass this examination become eligible to apply for full registration to practise in the UK. All applicants need to demonstrate that they have an appropriate level of English language competence before they can sit the ORE and are required to demonstrate their linguistic competence by sitting the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Find out more about ORE examinations on the GDC website.

Vocational training

Dentists who complete the ORE examination may be required to do up to a year's vocational training (VT) in order to work for the NHS. Success in the exam is not a guarantee of employment or a VT place.

Further advice on VT can be found on the British Dental Association (BDA) website.

To work in general dental practice (primary care) undertaking NHS work, dentists need to have their names on the NHS Performers list held by NHS England. To do this, they need to complete VT or undergo an assessment by the Local Education and Training Board (LETB) that will make recommendations with relevance to a dentist's equivalent experience.

If you require further advice on VT places you should contact the Postgraduate Dental Dean at the LETB in the region where you wish to work. Find more information on eligibility for VT and contact details of LETBs and deaneries.

The right to work in the UK

Registration with an appropriate regulatory authority does not give you the right to work in the UK.

>f you are not a UK/EEA national, you will need to meet the requirements of the UK Visas and Immigration Agency's regulations to gain the right to enter and work in UK.

European Economic Area nationals

Dentists from the EEA, with a primary qualification specified in the relevant EC Directive are able to register with the General Dental Council and practise in the UK on the basis of that qualification. All dentists who qualified outside the UK, must confirm the status of their registration and the documentation required for registration, with the GDC before they travel to the UK.

In certain circumstances, dental professionals who are non-EEA nationals but are family members of EEA nationals, are entitled to be treated as an EEA national for registration purposes. Non-EEA nationals must provide certain documents to prove this entitlement. The main conditions under which this condition applies are as follows:

  • the non-EEA national must be the family member of an EEA national (other than a UK national)
  • the EEA national is moving to work or reside in the UK and their family member is accompanying them
Further information

Further information about working or training as a dentist in the UK can be obtained from the National Advice Centre for Postgraduate Dental Education (NACPDE) website.

Source URL:https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/i-am/outside-uk/information-overseas-dentists


01. http://www.gdc-uk.org/Pages/default.aspx
02. http://www.gdc-uk.org/Dentalprofessionals/Applyforregistration/Pages/Temporary-registration.aspx
03. http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/
04. http://www.gdc-uk.org/Dentalprofessionals/ORE/Pages/default.aspx
05. http://www.ielts.org/
06. http://www.gdc-uk.org/Dentalprofessionals/Applyforregistration/Pages/default.aspx
07. https://www.bda.org/dentists/education/vocational-training
08. https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/glossary#Primary_care
09. http://www.copdend.org/
10. http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/fds/nacpde/nacpde-trainees-from-overseas